Day 44: you tumble me


Memories......the night before a Surf Lifesaving Carnival was always a fearful time as I knew whatever the surf conditions were the following day, the show would go on. I recall one Taranaki carnival where the surf was just a seething mass of white froth and massive raging grey-brown waves that at times seemed to be crashing sideways into each other. But as an Australian team was visiting, the event would proceed, instead of taking it to the shelter of Ngamotu Beach; which they did do the following day.

In my first swimming race I tried so hard to swim out, at one stage being dumped back to shore, vomited and tried again, but my nerves got the better of me. It’s the only time I didn't make it. I felt so ashamed.

With my next event it was decided to take us out in an IRB (inflatable rescue boat) and drop us at the buoys, some 120 meters out from the shore. I was the ‘patient’ in the tube rescue event where I waited at the buoy to be “rescued” by a swimmer who would swim out with flippers.

My journey back to shore with my "rescuer' was extraordinary . With some of the giant waves we clung together; it was like being inside a washing machine and then spat out the other side, only to be engulfed by more waves. Not sure if it was courage or stupidity.

The arrival back at shore installed in me a feeling that from that day forth I could do anything.


circulatory drawing 4
pen on paper